Report: 2011 China PC Market Shipments to Grow 25% YoY PDF Print E-mail
Written by Chelsey Drysdale   
Monday, 14 November 2011 11:38

SANTA CLARA, CADisplaySearch has increased its 2011 forecast for total China PC market shipments from 95 million to more than 100 million units, accounting for a 25% year-over-year increase.

The research firm has increased its 2011 shipment forecast of desktop PCs from 51.6 million units to 52.4 million units, AIO PCs from 2.5 million to 3.8 million units, nd mobile PCs from 40.8 million to 47.4 million units.

“Despite weak global demand, PC market growth in China continues to outpace the rest of the world,” noted Robin Wu, DisplaySearch China PC/IT analyst. “The rapid development in the region as part of the country’s strategy to develop western China over the past 10 years ultimately resulted in the China PC market growth exceeding expectations.”

DisplaySearch previously forecast 2011 tablet PC shipments at 3.4 million units; however, the second quarter far exceeded this estimate, reaching 2.4 million units. The growth was attributed to aggressive pricing strategies by brands, including Lenovo. The firm raised its 2011 tablet PC shipment forecast to 10 million units, accounting for a 10% share of the total China PC market.

Apple continues to lead in tablet PC brands in China, while other brands like Lenovo, Acer and Samsung are also increasing their efforts.

The do-it-yourself market, consisting of self-built PCs that have a monitor included as part of a complete solution, still accounts for a significant share of the overall China PC market, the firm says. 2011 shipments are expected to exceed 20 million units.

Lenovo’s leading position in the China PC market is strengthened by its efforts in the LCD monitor, desktop PC and mobile PC segments, with a 23.6% share of the total China PC market. AOC’s share was 8.5%. The combined market share of Lenovo and AOC reached 32.1% in the second quarter, compared to 27.6% in the first quarter, and Lenovo’s shares in all market segments grew in the second quarter.

 

Columns

Eastern-US: China’s New Competitor?

Parity emerges among EMS Factories from Asia, Mexico and the US.

For the first time in years we see parity in the Eastern US among EMS factories from Asia, Mexico and the US. This EMS market condition will permit American OEMs (the EMS industry refers to OEMs as customers) to have more EMS pathways to choose from. Now more than ever, such EMS assignments will require deeper investigation relating to the OEMs’ evaluation of manufacturing strategies.

Read more...
 
The Human Touch

For those who count on the electronics industry for big feats, it’s been a remarkable couple of years.

Read more...
 

Features

Advances in Concentration Monitoring and Closed-Loop Control

Contaminated bath water skews refractive index results. New technology can accurately measure aqueous cleaning agent concentration.

Read more...
 
Circuits Disassembly: Materials Characterization and Failure Analysis

A systematic approach to nonconventional methods of encapsulant removal.

Read more...
 

Search

Search

Login

CB Login

Language

Language

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish
 

Products

Panasonic Debuts PanaCIM Maintenance with Augmented Reality
PanaCIM Maintenance with Augmented Reality software provides instant communication and information to factory technicians -- when and where it is needed -- so they can respond to factory needs more...